How It Works
MTP Kit works by blocking the effects of Progesterone causing the placenta to separate from the endometrium. It softens the cervix and increases uterine contractions for the uterine contents to pass easily. The uterine contents are usually blood clots that are passed through the vagina when the bleeding starts.
For a woman who’s 7 weeks pregnant, the receptacle looks like a thin grain of rice. For a woman who’s 9 weeks pregnant, the receptacle looks like a kidney bean. You should get an ultrasound done after two weeks to check whether the abortion has been completed or not.
MTP Kit is used for the following purposes:
- Abortion – MTP Kit is used for the termination of pregnancy (not more than 9 weeks) in women.
MTP Kit consists of 1 tablet of Mifepristone and 4 tablets of Misoprostol. Mifepristone is intended to be taken orally with water. The 4 tablets of Misoprostol should then be taken within the next 72 hours. Your doctor will tell you when you should take it.
Misoprostol can either be taken buccally or vaginally. For buccal administration, you need to place the 4 tablets in your cheek pouch.Do not swallow them straightaway. Place 2 pills of Misoprostol on one side of the mouth and the other 2 pills on the other side of the mouth (behind your teeth, in your cheek pouch). Wait for the contents to dissolve. After 25-30 minutes, swallow what is left of the pills. Bleeding usually starts within the first 4 hours. Keep a few sanitary pads handy as the bleeding will be heavier than normal.
For vaginal administration, you should lie down and place the 4 tablets inside your vagina. If the pills fall out before the bleeding starts, insert them again. If the pills fall out after the bleeding starts, do not worry as most of the medication would have been dissolved by now.
Visit your doctor after two weeks to confirm whether abortion has occurred or not. To avoid severe cramping and abdominal pain, your doctor might recommend you to take a tablet of Ibuprofen 1 hour prior to the consumption of Misoprostol.
Missed Dosage: This medicine is taken as prescribed by the doctor. Therefore, the chances of missing a dose are not possible.
Overdose: This medicine is usually taken in the presence of a doctor. However, if the doctor advises you to take the tablets at home and an overdose is suspected, contact your doctor immediately.
Before you take MTP Kit, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Mifepristone or any other medications.
- If you have a bleeding disorder.
- If you have a kidney or liver disease.
- If you suffer from diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- If you have uncontrolled blood pressure.
- If you have a history of heart attack, stroke, etc.
- If you have severe anemia.
- If you have any inherited skin disease.
Common side-effects of MTP Kit include:
- Chills or hot flushes
- Pelvic pain
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
In case you soak two sanitary pads or more within two hours or experience any side-effects for long, contact your doctor immediately.
Certain drugs are known to interact with MTP Kit and affect the way it works. If you take any herbal, OTC, recreational, or any other drugs, let your doctor know about them.
- Antibiotics such as erythromycin
- Antifungals such as ketoconazole
- Corticosteroids such as dexamethasone
- HIV Protease inhibitors such as indinavir and ritonavir
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol can increase the risk of experiencing side-effects. Avoid consuming alcohol with this medicine.
MTP Kit should be stored properly and safely in its original packaging.
- Keep the medicine away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Keep the medicine out of reach of children.
- Once the pack is opened, store the remaining pills in an airtight container.
- Do not consume the medicine past its expiration date.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is MTP Kit for abortion?
Ans. MTP Kit is a complete abortion kit that comes in the form of a combi pack containing 1 tablet of Mifepristone 200 mg and 4 tablets of Misoprostol 200 mcg. It is used to bring about an abortion in women who are no more than 9 weeks (or 63 days) pregnant.
Is MTP Kit safe to use?
Ans. MTP Kit is a safe and effective medicated abortion that is used for the termination of pregnancy in women. It is clinically proved to terminate intrauterine pregnancy of up to 63 days gestation period. It has been used by millions of women worldwide for over 20 years. It doesn’t affect a person’s ability to conceive when they’re ready.
How effective is the MTP Kit?
MTP Kit is a very effective method of abortion with an efficacy rate of 93-98%. Women who are in their first trimester can make use of this kit to terminate their pregnancy.
How long does it take for MTP Kit to work?
Ans. In most cases, the pregnancy tissues are expelled out within the first 4-6 hours. Cramping and bleeding slow down after the expulsion of the pregnancy tissues. Cramping stays on for a period of 24-48 hours. The whole abortion process gets completed within 3-4 days. You should follow up with your doctor after two weeks.
How to take the doses of MTP Kit?
For administering MTP Kit, you are intended to take a single tablet of Mifepristone 200 mg first. After taking this pill, you can get back to your normal routine and proceed with it. The next step is to take four tablets of Misoprostol 200 mcg (either orally or vaginally as per your choice). These are taken within the next 72 hours. However, after taking Mifepristone, you can wait for 24 hours and consume the four tablets of Misoprostol afterward. You’re likely to experience bleeding that can last for 6-8 hours (and even 12 hours in some cases). You should rest for another 24 hours as you’ll feel nauseated. To help manage any discomfort and pain during the process, take pain medication, and anti-nausea medication before consuming Misoprostol.
Is there any side-effect of MTP Kit?
Ans. Some common side-effects of MTP Kit include headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, and dizziness. If you experience any of these side-effects for more than 24 hours, seek medical help immediately.
When should these pills not be taken?
While the abortion pill is a safe option for the termination of pregnancy in the first 12 weeks, it usually isn’t the right option for everyone. Therefore, you should not take MTP Kit if you have any of the following:
- An ectopic pregnancy – a pregnancy implanted outside the uterus that can only be treated by a medical professional.
- Chronic adrenal or liver failure.
- Suffer from HIV – if you have HIV, the abortion process can put you at a higher risk of infection. Therefore, you should use antibiotics at the same time and contact your doctor before you make use of the abortion pill.
- An STI – if you have a sexually transmitted infection such as gonorrhea, you should see a doctor for treatment.
- An IUD in place – you should have an Intrauterine device removed before taking the abortion pill.
- Suffer from porphyria – an inherited disease such as porphyria affects the blood’s ability to carry oxygen to organs and tissues.
How to confirm abortion?
A follow-up appointment is recommended to make sure that the abortion is complete. You can visit your nearest clinic wherein a medical professional will perform a quick examination, blood test, or an ultrasound.
What are the essential precautions you must follow after the abortion procedure?
If possible, plan to take rest for a day or two after the abortion. There are certain precautions that you should take after the abortion:
- Do not exercise strenuously for the first week.
- Avoid inserting anything into the vagina for 2-3 weeks (including tampons, sex toys, etc).
- Avoid stimulating the nipples to reduce breast discharge.
Most symptoms usually go away after 24 hours. Plan to take it easy and let your body be your guide.
Are there any possible complications that I need to look out for?
It’s common to wonder if everything’s to be okay. While there’s nothing to worry about, however, there are certain things to look out for after your abortion.
Signs of possible complications include:
- Fever above 101 ° F lasting more than 24 hours.
- Heavy bleeding that doesn’t stop – soaking two or more pads in an hour for 2 hours in a row.
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea that lasts for more than 24 hours.
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
- Severe pain or cramping that won’t go away even the medication.
- Continued symptoms of pregnancy after 2-4 weeks.
If you experience any of these things, contact your doctor immediately. These signs may indicate that additional treatment is required.
Is there any difference between Medical Abortion and the Abortion Pill?
The Abortion Pill is sold under different names. However, medical abortion, medication abortion, and medicated abortion are the same thing as the abortion pill.